June 11, 2013
We headed up Wager Gulch Trail to the ghost town of Carson. The mining town was established in 1882 with an operating post office until 1903. The ghost town is located at 11,500 feet elevation in a beautiful meadow surrounded by 14,000 ft mountains. The town served the St. Jacobs Mine and others that produced gold, silver, lead, copper and zinc. The few buildings that remain are only a tiny part of the town that, at one time, was large enough to straddle the Continental Divide.
A view of the ghost town as we approach:
the inside of the livery stable
one of the abandoned buildings that has been restored with a new roof and the jeep that brought us up to this amazing location: